City Council to purchase Donegal House and Guildhall
Published: 12 September 2012
Donegal House and Guildhall
Lichfield City Council, at its meeting on 11 September, agreed to purchase the freehold of Donegal House and the Guildhall from Lichfield District Council.
These two historic buildings stand side by side in Bore Street, and are connected at ground and first floor level. A Guildhall has stood on the same site since 1387 although much of the present building dates from 1846. It is used as public meeting rooms and for various concerts and events. Donegal House was built in 1730 and is currently used by the District Council as office accommodation, but is surplus to their requirements.
The City Council will purchase the Donegal House for its offices, moving out of its present privately rented offices at 53 Wade Street in spring 2013. The City Council will also purchase the freehold of the Guildhall, which it presently leases from the District Council.
The two buildings together will be bought for £275,000 which has been agreed through an independent valuation, and reflects the existing rights and leases that the City Council has over the two buildings.
City Council Leader, Terry Finn, said "This decision will ensure that the historic Donegal House will remain in public ownership as an asset to the City, and it will mean that we can save on the rent we presently pay for our offices in Wade Street. Donegal House is interconnected with the Guildhall, even sharing the same heating system, so it makes sense at the same time to purchase the freehold of the Guildhall instead of leasing it from the District Council."