The Friary in Lichfield was created in 1237 by Franciscan Friars, an order of Monks founded by St Francis of Assisi in 1209. Following the dissolution of the Monasteries under the reign of King Henry VIII, the site was cleared to provide money for the Crown. Very little of the original complex survived, with the Church, Cloisters, Refectory and most domestic buildings being demolished.
The site of the remains of the Friary is now a public garden owned and managed by Lichfield City Council. The portico was added in 1937 to provide an entrance to the ruins and was originally sited at Shenstone Court.