The brick built Gazebo is a Grade II listed building and dates from around 1804 and provides an excellent view of the City and surrounding countryside.
The Gazebo is a small pavilion, erected by the Corporation by public subscription. In the late 1600’s a structure called the Temple stood on the site and this in turn was replaced by various buildings.
Some claim that the area is the burial site of three Christian Kings who were killed in battle under orders from the Roman Emperor Diocletian in about 300AD.
A depiction of the three slain Martyrs has been used on the City Seal since 1548, and forms part of the legend that the name of Lichfield derives from ‘the field of the dead’. This popular and evocative story is however not supported by either archaeology or etymology.