Architect James Fowler designed St Mary’s Church, and in 1870 the current building, constructed of Derbyshire sandstone, was complete. This Grade II* building also acted as a memorial to the former Vicar, Rev Henry Lonsdale, who was buried beneath the west tower.
In the 20th century, after the numbers attending church dropped, the building was transformed into the multi- functional space it has been until recently. In July 2013, it was renamed St Mary’s in the Market Square and welcomed Lichfield District Council’s tourist information service.
St Mary’s holds full accreditation (Arts Council England) and has been situated within the entire first floor of this building, prior to this redevelopment. The collection, which is currently in storage, consists of objects and photographs relating to Lichfield. The photographic collection is extensive and will be housed in a separate research room.
The church building has been redeveloped to hold the City library on the ground floor. On the first floor is a flexible open space, integrating a 140 seater performance/art exhibitions and workshop area. https://stmaryslichfield.co.uk/